Friday, January 09, 2009

Okay! Okay!! Okay!!!

I call "UNCLE"... I will BLOG!! Life has been more than just the usual CrAZy around here... My client's Mom called and told me that she would be coming to get her on the 23rd and keeping her until the 28th... Christy flew down to Florida to spend time with Joshua... I think the 80* weather had a lot to do with her decision to go...

On Christmas Eve I got busy and finished up Christmas stuff... I sat at home and watched chick flicks and wrapped presents... I cleaned the house and got all I could get ready completed... We went over to Nila and Gene's and had our traditional Christmas Eve dinner and reading of the Christmas Story... We all laughed and remembered the fights and tears of who would get to put baby Jesus in the manger... Angel got to do it with no fights... Maybe in a few years she will have to share the honor with Abby... When we were done reading we opened the traditional Christmas Eve gift... Pajama's!!

I have some fun memories of celebrating Christmas eve... The time we had the cousins act out the characters... The time at Thanksgiving each cousin was assigned a manger scene character and had to use their artistic abilities and create there character then share it on Christmas Eve... My fondest Christmas Eve was in 1996 right after my Mom passed away.... I had lots of family surround me with their love and support... I had 26 people over to my house and we laughed and rejoiced in the spirit of the holiday!!

Back to this year... On Christmas morning Melissa had me up so she could open all her presents... She told me she had waited her whole life for these 2 years where she would be an only child! And she would be spoiled. The rest of the family was scheduled to come over at 10:30am for the continuation of the presents... We had fun!!

I made Christmas dinner.... Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, ham, corn and green beans... and home made rolls!! For dessert Jolene made pumpkin pie and I made cheesecake... we were as usual too full to eat dessert...

At some point during the day we played "Trouble" ... I quit early because Abby needed a bottle. After everyone left I cleaned up so I could sleep in on 12/26... and sleep in I did... I got up and was a couch potato... I didn't even get on the computer... I might have but the lap top was at the group home and I was to lazy to get up and go into the office and get on the desk top... about the only thing I got up to do was to go to the basement and stoke the wood stove.. or get something to eat...In the late after noon I got a call from my clients mom asking me if we had fed her something different...because she was having an itching reaction and Benadryl was not working...
I didn't know of anything...

After being a literal bum for 2 days... I get a call from clients Mom and they are headed to ER because She is in such distress... They gave her more meds and sent us on her way... On Monday a her condition didn't improve... I took her to her regular Dr and she didn't know... Monday night we were back in the ER because we could not get the itching to stop... more meds and back home. Tuesday we had appointments at her Neurologist and Dermatologist... more meds again... this time they say she has a skin condition. She has to have all her clothes washed in fragrance FREE detergent... Wednesday she seems better and I am a laundry hag... I washed ALL her clothes and blankets... Thursday she is bad again.... but we can keep her comfortable... Friday she is getting worse.... Friday night we are back at the ER... The fill her full of antihistamines and sedatives... She sleeps Friday night... They are just keeping her doped up to keep her comfortable... Saturday night I have a talk with her mom and we decided she needs to be under the care of the Dr who has treated her since first diagnosed with Rett's... I call the Dr and we get it set up to have her transferred down to St. Joe to Heartland... Monday I go with her by ambulance to Heartland and we get checked in... They decide to change her seizure meds... She stops itching... but she is a totally different girl... for being non-verbal she sure was verbal Tuesday morning... some words you can understand... like pizza... she said pizza over and over again. Since she was no longer on IV we went for a walk down the halls and she was just talking to anyone or anything... it was so fun to watch her... she had miserable for so long!! Her euphoria lasted all day... and all night long... I finally climbed into bed with her to get her to calm down and go to sleep...and of course just as she falls asleep the CNA comes in to take her vitals.. .I asked him.... "Do you HAVE to do that now? I just got her to sleep!!" He left and didn't come back until she was awake... When I asked the Dr about her euphoria she said it is her coming off the old medication and her getting use to the new one... Each day when I wake her up I wonder who will she be today.... On Thursday she was once again verbal and active.... she was up and down off the couch... and talking to the TV.... yesterday she had an attitude and spit breakfast on me and tried to hit me... I just grab her and give her hugs... that always calms her down... This morning she is just happy and calm... Whew... what a week!! I am glad she is home and back on track!!

Meg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back in full swing of blogging!