Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Oprah Show!!










Yes!!! I ran away from home again. Before I had even left for Houston Beth had called me to tell me that she had acquired tickets to the Oprah Show for the middle of November. I was so excited to go... Who knows it could have been her "favorite things" show... Right!!!!???

The rough part for me was that on Friday, Nov. 14, the State of Missouri was scheduled to come in and inspect my group home. So the whole previous week and a half was spent cleaning and organizing the home and the mass of paperwork required to have for each resident. I had NO idea of what to expect, and that was nerve wracking. I wasn't sure how clean the house needed to be... I was knew the home needed some of the cleaning done that doesn't get done regularly like under the stove and fridge... Cleaning the cobwebs that magically appear when you aren't looking.. Then early on the Wednesday before I am to leave, Beth calls me to tell me that the Oprah Show had called her and they had to cancel taping on the day we were scheduled to go. After discussing the options with Beth, we decide that if I can cancel my flight and come in January I should do that. Later on in the day while was up to my elbows in deep cleaning, I see that my clients bed was literally falling apart... I quickly make a phone call to Gene and he comes right over and saves the day and the bed. In the middle of me helping Gene fix the bed Beth calls all in a panic about how the Oprah Show had called back to see if we want to go to the taping a day earlier and to see if I had called to change my ticket. I hadn't so all is good and we now are scheduled to see a taping of the Oprah Show!!!! Now I can get back to getting ready for State. After several long days of preparing and longer nights of worrying, Friday arrives along with the State inspector... He was here for 3 hours... checking documentation and finding errors that were not found during my medical audit done last month. I made a few minor corrections while he as here. So in the end I only had 3 minor infractions keeping me from getting my 2 year license. The three minor things were all taken care of by Monday. Jolene went ahead and made the copies and faxed everything to the inspector... My client went home for several days to spend some quality time with her family... so I was really able to relax and have fun in Chicago....


I was up and out the door to the airport by 6:30 AM, Sunday morning. I made it just the right time to the airport... enough time to get my shoes back on and reorganize my stuff after getting thru security... and relax for a few minutes before they started boarding...I love flying out of KC it is such an easy airport... The plane was full and I sat next to a really nice elderly man and his wife sat behind us... I told them I would move so his wife could sit next to him... but they said it was okay... His son is a pilot for Southwest so they fly for free and they fly a lot. Beth was there outside baggage claim when I arrived... we don't greet the plane anymore... it is much faster this way... We headed off to go SHOPPING...the sad part it that I love to go the food stores while I am in Chicago....I bought some pretzel bread and some brie cheese because I was hungry... yummy it was so good!! We also went to Cost Plus World Market... and Ikea. I found lots of fun things for Abby in Ikea... I always find all sorts of fun things for Abby where ever I go... Abby is very auditory... she loves things that make noise... so I got her a duck that goes, quack,quack, quack, quack, quack, quack, quack. I also got her one of those toys that make the mooooo sound when you turn it upside down then right side up.... I got her some bibs, 2 different eating sets.... now that she is on solids...

Beth's mother-in-law and her friend were driving in from Indiana, so we had to be back at Beth's house before they got there....we made it! So that night we ate dinner...visited and headed to bed because we had to be up and out the door by 5:00 am... we had to be at the Harpo Studios before 7:00 am... and Chicago traffic is much like S. CA... you NEVER know how long it is going to take you to where you want to go... We arrived at the studio at 6:15am... and we sat for a few minutes and then I got bored and we went to go check things out we found that we could get in... We all left out cell phones in the car, because you can't take ANY type of recording device into the taping... they even search your purse. Then they send you into a room to wait with the other 300 people. Right before they send in the main crowd... they will call people they pick... Beth and I think they just pick the pretty people to sit down close to the stage... I got stuck in the nose bleed section, behind a camera on an electric boom... so I could only see 1/2 the stage.I could see Oprah and she really is pretty... Her butt is really is HUGE. I was surprised on how big it really is... During the taping, I just about fell asleep a couple of times. The topic was spirituality... which HEY I get it! I don't need any help in that area... so I was not really happy with the topic... the show will be aired on 1/7/2009.... I want to go again because the next topic has got to be better. You are only suppose to go once a year... but Beth registered me as Meg and herself as Beth... we are going to register as Mary and Elizabeth.... who knows it may work!! After the taping we went across the street to the Oprah Store... Now I know how she made all her billions... it's by selling over priced things in her store... I did break down and I bought myself a long sleeve T-shirt for $24!! When we were done shopping we walked around the neighborhood and found a cute little Italian restaurant and had lunch... it was delicious... When we got back to Beth's her mother-in-law and her friend left to drive back home...right after they left it started snowing really hard...almost white out conditions..thankfully they made it home okay... I was so tired I had a hard time keeping my eyes open... I finally gave up and went to bed around 8pm. Tuesday I got up and Beth and I went and did some more shopping... we went to the Crate and Barrel outlet store.... the Tiger Direct outlet store... and my favorite Chicago store Caputto's... a very large grocery store that carries food from all over the world... I got my favorite bocaccini's little balls of fresh mozzarella cheese balls... I got some other yummy foods to bring home. I had bought a "green" bag from Trader Joe's and it was full of food stuff... fresh baked breads, my cheeses, and other things.... We went home packed bag and I headed to the airport... The plane was packed... and it was announced that every seat was full. So I decided the first open spot for my backpack in an overhead bin... I would take it. About the 4th row in I find a spot for my backpack... and this really nice looking man helps me and then asks me to sit next to him. He told me that since the plane was so full he wanted to pick who he sat next to.... He as very good looking and nice too. We talked the whole flight... and he was married with 4 kids... bummer!! Nice to know I still got it!!!

No comments: